Tuesday, January 26, 2010

FDA Warning for Meridia Weight-Loss Pill Users

After a November study of the weight-loss pill Meridia, followed by an FDA warning, the pill’s manufacturer, Abbott Laboratories, has agreed to modify the label to include a new warning. Previously, the manufacturer emphasized that the drug was only approved for people with no history of heart disease.


The study included 10,000 participants age 55 and older who took either Meridia or a placebo pill. Participants were either overweight or obese and had a history of diabetes or heart disease. Researchers found that those who took the weight-loss pill had a slightly greater risk of heart attack and stroke than those who took the dummy pill.


Based on the findings of the study, the FDA issued a warning stating that Meridia, which was approved by the FDA in 1997, should not be taken by anyone with a history of heart problems to avoid additional risk. The FDA specifically stated that those with a history of coronary artery disease, stroke or TIA (transient ischemic attack), congestive heart failure, heart arrhythmias, uncontrolled high blood pressure or peripheral arterial disease should not take the weight-loss pill.


The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also noted that anyone taking Meridia should speak with their doctor to be sure that it is still safe for them to take the drug. One consumer advocacy group, Public Citizen, argued last year there were 84 deaths associated with the Meridia and that the drug should be pulled from the market. If you have taken Meridia and have experienced any health issues that may be related to the product, you should first talk to your doctor to find out about available options. Next, please call or email the product liability lawyers at Silberstein, Awad & Miklos, P.C. to schedule a free initial consultation.


Call us toll-free, 1-877-ASK4SAM and visit us online, www.ask4sam.net

2 comments:

georgiy said...

For months after the birth of my son I struggled with getting my weight and eating under control.

But once I began taking phentramin d I was amazed at how well the product completely eliminated my desire for sweets! With my craving for cookies and candy gone, I was able to focus on other healthy options and 15 pounds dropped off quickly!

I am halfway to my goal weight and have Phentramin to thank!

Ramesh said...

Just started this medication today and I am hoping to lose at least 70lbs. I work out 4-5 days per week also and watch my diet. Exercise is the key to maintaining the weight lost. Dont expect to lose weight just taking meridia pills. To keep it off you must change your lifestyle of eating and working out for longlasting results! I will follow up in 1 month with my status as I weight 230lbs now and I am 5'8. Stay tuned guys!!!